Monday 2 April 2018

Critical Reflections

After going through effective communication, I have learned to overcome my weakness of writing my thoughts on paper. I was able to properly finish writing letters and reports by the end of the module. Also, this module had helped me improve my writing skill greatly and I was also able to present rather confidently. However, I feel that I can still work on my presentation skill as it was not up to the standard that I feel that I should be exhibiting. The reliance of memorizing the script that I had crafted is the reason why my presentation did not go as well as I wanted it to go. The most important aspect about presentation is to be very knowledgeable about what you and your group mate is presenting.
I will focus on my presentation experience to be critically reflected. I feel that I was not very prepared for the presentation. I learned that by having a nicely crafted script for my presentation is not going to help me out. It was the very reason why I did not do well. So, I will unlearn the fact that memorizing a script is the correct technique for presenting. I have relearned that the most important thing in a presentation is that you should know what you are going to present. That is the only way to present as you would not be afraid of forgetting your script and breaking the flow of your presentation. This had helped me to become a better presenter.


Read and Comment:
Shih Chieh

Ziq
Wei Ming

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Gordon, for this well focused reflection. I like the fact that you detail your presentation experience, and how in particular you discuss what you feel would have made your recent project presentation more effective.

    Best of luck on your future presentations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad, for your guidance throughout the whole of effective communication module. I am very happy with all the things you have taught me and I will continue to work towards my goals!

      Cheers,
      Gordon

      Delete
  2. Hi Gordon, I feel glad for you for overcoming your weakness, good job! It is good that you identified the areas to unlearn and relearn, which will make you a better communicator and presenter in future.

    Thanks Gordon, for being part of my Effective Communication learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shih Chieh,

      Thank you very much for taking your time out to read my post. It was an pleasant journey for me to be in this effective communication class. Hope that we will continue to work hard towards our goals!

      Cheers,
      Gordon

      Delete
    2. Hi Gordon, you're welcome. It was a joy to have you in the class!

      Delete
  3. Hey Gordon,

    Sorry the presentation didn't go as planned but the important thing is the lesson it teaches you. You are now more aware of the faults you make and can now be a more confident presenter in the future. Also, just want to say thank you for being my partner since day one. Really learned alot from being with you.

    Cheers,
    Ziq

    ReplyDelete

Personal statement

Gordon Ho Gordon is an undergraduate in Singapore Institute Of Technology (SIT) and had four years of civil engineering experience. He pre...